• Advertisement
To advertise, place classifieds free ads by category in a forum as a new topic, or in the classified display ads section, or start a classifieds free blog.

Louisiana cop quits after sharing racist meme on Facebook

Postby smix » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:10 pm

Daily Mail

URL: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ebook.html
Category: Facebook
Published: Fri, 04 Aug 2017 22:19:34 +0100

Description: An assistant police chief in a small Louisiana village has stepped down after sparking an uproar by posting a racist meme on his Facebook account. The offensive image that resulted in the resignation of Estherwood Assistant Police Chief Wayne Welsh depicted a drawing of a white mother forcing a blond girl's head under water in a bathtub. The caption of the image read: ‘When your daughter’s first crush is a little n***o boy.' Welsh was roundly criticized by online users for sharing the racially charged image, but initially he defended himself, writing in a subsequent post that what he had done was not illegal. 'It’s not against. The law if you share stuff on. Facebook. Its Social Media. Internet,’ he wrote on Monday. A few hours later, the law enforcement official and father-of-three backtracked and posted a begrudging apology. ‘Well, I posted something on Facebook that made a lot of people mad,’ Welsh wrote. ‘Well, I’m sorry for what happen. Ya have a blessed day. ‘I shared somebody else's posts and everybody mad at me again. So Facebook police mad at me.' He concluded, however, on a defiant note, writing in another post: 'People always want to play the. Race card. They want you to think your [sic] the bad guy.' Welsh’s Facebook account has since been deleted. Despite that, a screenshot of Welsh's initial post that included the racist meme quickly went viral on Twitter, racking up tens of thousands of retweets. Welsh's boss and longtime friend, Estherwood Police Chief Ernest Villejoin, told local media outlets he was shocked when he first learned about his assistant's Facebook faux pas. ‘When I found out about it, I couldn't believe I had to call him. I called him at work and asked him what the hell is going on,' Villejoin told KADN. ‘He done it. He said it and he realized what he had done after he done it and he deleted it but it was too late.’ But Villejoin also defended Welsh, insisting that his now-former subordinate did not post the image to purposefully offend anyone. The post at the heart of the controversy went up on Welsh's personal Facebook account on Saturday, and on Tuesday night he submitted his resignation. Speaking to KADN, a seemingly peeved Welsh explained that he saw the meme on his Facebook wall and decided to share it because he did not think it was racist. 'I just don’t feel like I should have to resign on this because there is not a policy saying I can’t do this on Facebook,' said Welsh. 'To me, I’m not racist and I knew it wasn’t. It was picture that everybody shared and you can get on anybody and still see it. It’s still there, but I was wrong for sharing it for being a police officer.' Welsh insisted that this incident does not reflect how he conducts himself in his professional capacity as a police officer. 'I treat everybody the same and you can ask anybody in town, if you walk around. They all like me and I do my job right,' he said. Estherwood is a village in Acadia Parish with an overwhelmingly white population of fewer than 1,000 people. According to reporting by KATC, Welsh's now-defunct Facebook account included multiple pro-gun posts, positive news items about President Donald Trump and messages paying tribute to fallen officers, among them African-Americans. In the past, Welsh reportedly had shared a meme likening Muslim women dressed in black burkas to trash bags, poked fun at former First Lady Michelle Obama and other prominent female politicians, especially Democrats, and mocked women who receive child support.
smix

Blog: View Blog (0)