• Advertisement
To advertise, place classifieds free ads by category in a forum as a new topic, or in the classified display ads section, or start a classifieds free blog.

‘AOC Press’ Parody Killed in Latest Big Tech Election Interference.

Postby smix » Tue May 07, 2019 8:23 pm

Human Events

URL: https://humanevents.com/2019/05/06/aoc- ... erference/
Category: Politics
Published: May 6, 2019

Description: Twitter has banned the popular parody account @AOCPress despite it complying entirely with the service’s rules on satire by self-labelling as such. This account – a satire of Democrat Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez – had over 85,000 followers at the time of the ban and is now permanently suspended.

In an email sent to the account owner, Twitter claimed the reasoning: “you may not register or create fake and misleading accounts.” The tech giant then followed that statement by saying “you may use Twitter pseudonymously or as a parody.” Twitter rules require all parody, newsfeed, commentary, and fan accounts to indicate “non-affiliation” in both the account name and bio. The AOC Press Release parody account used the word “parody” in both its account name and biography. The social network appears to be implying that the AOC Press parody account – which often posted moronic gibberish as a play on Ms. Ocasio-Cortez’s ability to flub her lines – is too close to what the Democrat Congresswoman is actually like in real life, causing confusion for Twitter users. Human Events spoke with the owner of the account, Mike Morrison, who also had his personal account (@OfficeOfMike) with over 50,000 followers permanently removed. Morrison, convinced the ban is rooted in political motives, told Human Events the following with regards to the permanent suspension of @AOCPress: “I think Twitter banned AOC Press for the increasing amounts of attention it’s been receiving lately. “In the past month and a half alone the account grew by roughly 50,000 followers. We’ve had tweets with over 30,000 likes on them, so I think Twitter decided it was time for [the account] to go. They didn’t like how popular an account created by their political opposition had become.” As the creator of the parody, Morrison presumes his personal account was banned by Twitter for having mocked their political allies, though many on the service have pointed to Morrison’s Jewish background and the fact he had also tweeted critically of Hamas in recent days. Other prominent Jewish conservatives were also banned after tweeting about how terror group Hamas should be destroyed. The ban is the latest foray by Big Tech into the Presidential Election campaign of 2020. Last week, high profile Trump supporters such as Alex Jones, Paul Joseph Watson, Laura Loomer, and Milo Yiannopolous were banned from Facebook and Instagram.

I Was ‘AOC Press’ On Twitter. Then They Banned Me.
Human Events - Mike Morrison

URL: https://humanevents.com/2019/05/08/i-wa ... banned-me/
Published: May 8, 2019

Description: On Monday evening I was removed from Twitter. I still don’t really know why. I have my suspicions, but no one’s really tried to explain it to me. I run the parody ‘AOC Press’ account, which had over 80,000 followers. It was pretty funny, even if I do say so myself. The fact is as we move closer to the 2020 election, a number of high-profile, high follower, conservative accounts are being banned. In total, we have lost access to millions, maybe even tens of millions of impressions over the past few days. This is election interference. I’m not going to get into legislative proposals, or the theory behind the Communications Decency Act, nor the idea that platform access should be a civil right. Smarter people than myself have opined at length on these subjects. What I want to make clear is my dismay at not just the procedural failings the social media giants have displayed over the past few days, but also the philosophical disparity with which they act, considering they are at the end of the day American companies which have benefitted from all things American. Now they want to take that away from the rest of us. Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc rule the roost in Silicon Valley. To some extent they compete with one another, but they also effectively act as a cartel. Neither trust-buster Teddy Roosevelt, nor Reagan – who broke up the telecoms monopoly – would abide this. There is something adverse and inherently at odds with Americanism with how these corporates are behaving. And who could blame them? They’re not led by thought leaders, or responsibly business people who have been around for decades and understand their real social and societal responsibilities. These are companies that grew out of chances taken by young idealists. There’s nothing wrong with that either, until you realize these people were products of hyper-liberal educations, and who have succumbed to the liberal, Hollywood mindset that pervades in California. It is at this juncture they become dangerous – the very charge they level at people like Paul Joseph Watson and me. I don’t know if it was because I was *too* funny… too “on the nose” with my parody of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, or not. But it certainly seems these platforms are intervening on behalf of Democrats in an attempt to stack the decks next year. Today, the President’s favorite meme-maker, Carpe Donktum, lost access to his Twitter account for 12 hours. These attempts to silence and stifle MAGA types will surely end in disaster. Message to Jack and Zuck: you’re forcing us to get our s**t together to fight back against you. So, thanks, I guess? Now I just hope President Trump is ready for the fight his base is already taking part in. It’d be silly to say we’re disappointed with the lack of action so far, given this has been going on for years. But I hope and pray the President has a plan. He seems to have had one for everything else in his term so far, so I don’t doubt there’s something bubbling beneath the surface. The thing is, if he doesn’t, it’s not just his supporters and his election chances that are screwed: it’s America. This is a nation which reveres, at its core, the rights of individuals to express themselves politically, lawfully. Incursions into our God-given, natural rights will be met with fierce resistance. Because if we don’t keep the flame of liberty alive, no other nation right now in the world will. And that is a responsibility towards mankind that we simply will not let Mark Zuckerberg or Jack Dorsey trounce.

‘I Was Trump’s Favorite Meme Maker, Now I’m Suspended On Twitter’
Human Events - Carpe Donktum

URL: https://humanevents.com/2019/05/11/i-wa ... n-twitter/
Published: May 11, 2019

Description: As with any effective moral panic in history, the key to my freedom is placed right in front of me. Confess your sin and you will be shown mercy.
If you are reading this, it means that my message was safely smuggled out of TWITMO. It has been three days since I was placed in solitary, and denied any contact with the outside world. The prospects of escaping this sunken place are grim, but I remain in good spirits, fueled by the belief that in the end good will overcome. Ok, a touch dramatic, but not really that far from the truth. In the digital age, social media can be the ultimate freedom and/or an oppressive prison, depending on which side of “the law” you land. In this case “the law” requires dogmatic adherence to the talking points pushed by the institutional left. In the time of our founding fathers, the public square was a physical location and the freedom to have access to and participate in a public discussion was absolutely vital. The absolute need for this freedom has not changed, but the location has. The most important “public square” that exists today is on the Internet, specifically on social media sites like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Reddit. Had this technology existed in his day, James Madison would have included it in the Bill of Rights. People (read: haters) scoff at the idea that platform access should be a civil right. Why? Because they don’t want you to speak. Their argument is often the proof of concept. America’s founders knew that the most basic foundation of a free country was the ability of its people to speak freely and in the open about what they thought and believed. Without this right no others can stand. The opposition to this inalienable right is the same now as they were then. The mobs that sought to silence and imprison anyone who dared say or think things they did not agree with. The vandals that broke in and smashed a printing press to stop the words from being printed. Censorship and totalitarianism have not gone away, they have just evolved to fit modernity. The calls from silenced conservatives for First Amendment protection on social media have been met by myriad non-arguments. Two of the most common are: “It’s a private company, duh!” or “Go make your own Twitter!”. Both of these disingenuous. These companies have made their product on the backs of a government-funded and created Internet, and operate under their protections. The Internet is not a free market. There are a handful of companies acting as gatekeepers, and they wield nearly unlimited power over what is and isn’t allowed. You may as well say “go create your own Internet”, the same people that control the flow of information on the Internet, also control social media. They are one and the same. Big Tech is a danger to free speech worldwide, not just in America. Objectively there are a few major outfits that have become the modern day public square where important social discussion takes place: Twitter, Facebook, and Google being the largest. The ability of these companies to effectively remove voices from the discussion constitutes a real and viable threat to the First Amendment, our country, and Western civilization. Those who control what people can see and read, can control what people think and feel.

I am currently locked out of my Twitter account; silenced on the largest platform that I have. My crime? I posted a hilarious meme that anti-Trump trolls Brian and Ed Krassenstein didn’t enjoy. Just like other speech haters in days bygone, they organized a mob to silence me. Although this time they didn’t have to smash my printing press, they just needed to report me to the “authorities”, and Big Tech smashed it for them. The problem of censorship is one that grows exponentially when it is ignored. As more and more voices are censored, fewer and fewer are left to speak out. Eventually there is no one left to speak. Moving to a new platform ignores the problem and can ONLY lead to an eradication of free thought on social media. When Big Tech has completed the purge, where will you speak out when they decide to come after the ‘new platform’? Where will people be able to hear you then? I choose to fight this on my own terms and on a battlefield that truly matters. I will not resign myself to speaking or expressing myself while on the run from the thought police. I will not pretend that running from the censors is the same as standing up to them. I will not bow to the faux outrage from a Krassenstein mob, nor any other coordinated social justice warrior attack. I have appealed the official decision from Twitter and I sit in my proverbial cell awaiting their response. As with any effective moral panic in history, the key to my freedom is placed right in front of me. Confess your sin and you will be shown mercy. Delete the offending tweet and admit to the mob that their action was righteous, then your sentence can begin. I did nothing wrong, I owe the mob nothing, and admitting otherwise only invites more mobs and accusations. In the last 72 hours, thousands of people have posted comments saying that my suspension did not go far enough, that they will keep reporting me, and that I should be banned from the platform entirely. You cannot appease these people, you can only defeat them and make them think twice before they go to battle once again. Never give into the mob. Never give away your rights. Never let them silence you. Never surrender. Thank you all for the outpouring of support that I have received over the last few days, it has been truly humbling.
--
UPDATE: Since writing, Twitter sided with me in my appeal and restored both my account and the tweet that landed me in TWITMO… for 20 minutes. I was then suspended again for the same tweet. I suspect that there is some disagreement within the power structure of Twitter about what does and does not violate their own Terms of Service (TOS). Even Twitter is unsure of how their TOS actually should actually function and where the line between activism and fair policy should be drawn on their side. In the video (a spaghetti western meme featuring slapstick humor) that started my suspension there is no trace of the so called “targeted harassment” or “incitement of violence” that is claimed. The video only contains a two second scene that could be misconstrued as real violence. In that scene, President Trump shoots a revolver out of Jim Acosta’s hand before he can shoot him in the back. Throughout the video Trump’s holster is clearly marked with a Twitter logo to signify it represents tweets, not bullets. There is no dark undertone or call to action contained in this video which has been circulating on Twitter since January and has been watched half a million times without issue. However, all of this nuance is lost when it is viewed by leftists blind with rage for anything that portrays the President in a good light or more importantly, their side in a bad one. I have now submitted a second appeal, and am again waiting patiently for a response from Twitter. I did nothing wrong, and I think it is time that people started standing up for themselves against the tyrannical behavior of both Twitter and the perpetually triggered leftists like the Krassenstein trolls.

Twitter Bans Conservative Reporter Nick Monroe
Human Events

URL: https://humanevents.com/2019/05/28/twit ... ck-monroe/
Published: May 28, 2019

Description: One of conservative Twitter’s most popular news aggregators has been suspended, perhaps permanently.
Twitter has banned a conservative reporter who was openly trying to be less edgy and more newsy, three years after being embroiled in Gamergate and other internet-based arguments. When it comes to the research and aggregation of political news, Nick Monroe is second to none. Anyone within the political sphere—whether on the left or right—is familiar with the independent journalist, who goes by @nickmon1112 on Twitter. Or at least he did, until Twitter banned him on Tuesday. Known for his investigative tweet threads involving topics such as AntiFa, online censorship, to the latest happenings on social media, Monroe was often cited in conservative news outlets including Breitbart, Daily Caller, PJ Media, and others—to name a few. It wouldn’t be his first rodeo, but it may well be his last. Earlier this month, Breitbart reported Twitter, which banned political video remixer Carpe Donktum, had also suspended Monroe. Twitter admitted that the suspension was a “mistake.” The company has not explained its ban this time around, using a wholly new excuse to ban Monroe, specifically citing a violation of the company’s rules against evading permanent suspension. Unlike other news reporters on Twitter, Monroe often revisited months-old threads with updates and compiled his research in Twitter Moments, making them easy to reference. Following Twitter’s decision to ban him, his entire catalogue of work is gone. Down the memory hole. “I have used the same Twitter account since December 2015. For the past three and a half years I’ve been Nick Monroe,” Monroe told Human Events. “Which is, to say, myself. I worked as a games journalist for The Escapist Magazine and Gameranx. It started me on a more honest path for myself as I swore to keep things above board. Which I have,” he continued. “I spent the past three and a half years working hard and keeping my nose clean. Sometimes people have tried to get me in trouble for that. But it’s always a learning experience.” Monroe refers to past allegations that he was involved in harassing video game developers when he was a prominent figure in the “GamerGate” online movement. “Any Twitter account that I’ve had before is so far away from who I am now that there’s no point in even trying to associate it with me. Yes. I was around during GamerGate. Yes. Those times were ugly,” said Monroe. “But getting rid of one of the few remaining people who actually SAW and EXPERIENCED everything that went on back then? That does the online community a disservice.” “Even if my account is gone forever and there’s no way for me to return, I want to take the time to thank everyone who has accepted my three and a half year long apology. That is to say—I set out to do better. To be better. To have a chance to earn people’s trust and respect. It means to me more than you know that I’ve been able to do something remarkable for everyone,” Monroe concluded. Before Monroe got into the habit of curating tweet threads about any given news story, Monroe had already established himself as a game journalist. Writing for a variety of entertainment news outlets as a freelancer, the Society of Professional Journalists gave Monroe an award for his coverage of the SAG-AFTRA voice actors strike in 2016. Monroe’s work earned him a large following of conservatives on Twitter, including Donald Trump Jr., and numerous journalists, who have since chimed in to decry what appears to be his permanent suspension. Others on the left, including Far Right Watch’s Jared Holt and Daily Beast’s Will Sommer, have expressed confusion over the suspension, alongside accusations impugning Monroe’s past behavior and associations with the GamerGate campaign. Thus far, no one has taken explicit credit for reporting Monroe’s account to Twitter. Nick Monroe’s ban is more than an issue of censorship. His compilations of research acted as snapshots of the political zeitgeist at any given point in time, reflecting both the atmosphere and mood surrounding each news event. It’s the stuff of documentaries, and now it is lost.

Twitter Bans Analyst Who Revealed AntiFa Connections With Journalists.
Human Events

URL: https://humanevents.com/2019/05/29/twit ... nnections/
Published: May 29, 2019

Description: Twitter banned a researcher dedicated to mapping out AntiFa’s connections to journalists and the SPLC.
Former teacher and analyst Eoin Lenihan has been banned from Twitter after revealing major links between so-called “anti-extremism” campaigners and the hard-left AntiFa group. Lenihan published his findings in Quillette, revealing links between journalists who write for the the Guardian newspaper, HuffPost, Al Jazeera, and various other publications to the hard left group. Lenihan was suspended early Wednesday morning, prompting speculation about the ban. Andy Ngo, a Wall Street Journal contributor and editor at Quillette, alleges that Lenihan was suspended following mass reports by members of AntiFa on Twitter. It has long been suspected that establishment journalists maintain close ties to far-left activists including AntiFa. Until now, these connections remained largely in the realm of speculation. The researcher identified over a dozen verified “national-level journalists,” who were in his estimation never “markedly critical of AntiFa in any way” in their coverage of leftist political violence.

antifa-network.jpg

“In all cases, their work in this area consisted primarily of downplaying AntiFa violence while advancing AntiFa talking points, and in some cases quoting AntiFa extremists as if they were impartial experts,” wrote Lenihan, who cited Jason Wilson, a Portland-based writer for the Guardian as one such example.
“One of his recent articles focused on a U.S. regional intelligence report whose authors concluded that Antifa and the far right share responsibility for street violence. “Experts say the report mischaracterizes the dynamics of the street violence,” Wilson complained. One of Wilson’s main “experts” in the piece, it turned out, was none other than Antifa handbook author Mark Bray, who, predictably, denounced the report’s contents as “ludicrous.” In fact, Bray makes regular appearances in Wilson’s articles. So does fellow Portland resident and eco-extremist Alexander Reid Ross, who regularly writes for Antifa publications such as the It’s Going Down anarchist news site. (Ross also contributed to a 30-year-anniversary edition publication for Earth First!, an extremist environmentalist collective that advocates what activists euphemistically call “direct action.”)

Following publication of the report and subsequent coverage from conservative outlets like PJ Media, Lenihan faced a barrage of insulting remarks and attacks from AntiFa-affiliated accounts. It’s Going Down, a far-left publication dedicated to AntiFa activism identified Lenihan as the proprietor of the @ProgDadTV satirical Twitter account created years ago in the same vein as the satirical accounts Titania McGrath and Godfrey Elfwick. In his analysis, Lenihan revealed:
We created a data set of 58,254 Antifa or Antifa-associated Twitter accounts based on the follows of 16 verified Antifa seed accounts. Using a software tool that analyzed the number and nature of connections associated with each individual account, we winnowed the 58,254 Antifa or Antifa-associated Twitter accounts down to 962 accounts. This represents a core group of Twitter users who are connected in overlapping ways to the most influential and widely followed Antifa figures. Of these 962 accounts, 22 were found to be verified Twitter accounts of journalists—of which 15 were journalists who work regularly with national-level news outlets.

Lenihan’s suspension on Twitter follows the ban of another independent journalist, Nick Monroe, best known for his news aggregation of political news.

Twitter Suspends Project Veritas for… Journalism?
Human Events

URL: https://humanevents.com/2019/06/12/twit ... ournalism/
Published: June 12, 2019

Description: Twitter has temporarily suspended Project Veritas, a nonprofit organization that uses undercover journalism to expose corruption and unethical behavior in both public and private institutions. Project Veritas received the following reasoning for their 12 hour suspension.“You may not publish or post other people’s private information without their express authorization and permission.” “Twitter has decided that investigative journalism is in violation of their terms of service,” founder and president of Project Veritas, James O’Keefe, tweeted out this morning. The ‘private information’ Project Veritas posted on Twitter was a product of their investigation into Pinterest. It consisted of a series of internal communications between members of the social media platform’s staff. Project Veritas gained access to the Pinterest’s communications via a whistleblower. In the company’s communications, Pinterest falsely labelled the Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Wire, Ben Shapiro, a “white supremacist”. The communications in question took place on a Slack channel, a messaging and file-sharing platform. O’Keefe presented the idea that the policy maker may have simply been voicing their opinion. The employee who came out against Pinterest explained “this was actually in a war room where policy makers were making decisions about content.” The tech giants appear to operate on a blatant double-standard. Twitter is temporarily deplatforming Project Veritas for investigative journalism, claiming they cannot post ‘private information’ without permission. All the while Facebook leaked a private citizen’s information to the Daily Beast to aid them in exposing a Trump supporter for mocking Nancy Pelosi. Pinterest did not stop at falsely labelling conservatives as white supremacists. They also censored “Bible” related search terms and banned the pro-life group Live Action, labelling them as porn. Right before the part one of Project Veritas’ video series exposing Pinterest was released, the social media site unbanned the pro-life group.

The next morning, O’Keefe explained, Pinterest “reversed themselves a hundred and eighty degrees and blocked the site again. Their course of action is confusing at best.” Project Veritas later revealed that the whistleblower who spoke to O’Keefe about the tech giant’s wrongdoings has been fired.

Twitter Bans Free Speech Champion Lindsay Shepherd For “Abusing” Trans Activist
Human Events

URL: https://humanevents.com/2019/07/16/twit ... -activist/
Published: July 16, 2019

Description: Twitter exposes its double standards by allowing a transgender activist to hurl misogynistic insults at a woman, whom the platform banned for responding.
Twitter has permanently banned Lindsay Shepherd, a high profile Canadian free speech proponent, for engaging in “abusive behavior” against transgender activist Jessica Yaniv. Shepherd, a former teaching assistant at Wilfrid Laurier University, shot to prominence in 2017 after she secretly recorded audio of her superiors berating her for using a debate by Dr. Jordan Peterson as an example of compelled speech in her classroom. Following widespread coverage of her case, Shepherd started a Twitter account and YouTube channel to discuss controversial topics including transgenderism, which led her to her online altercation with Yaniv earlier this week. Yaniv is infamous for having lodged over a dozen frivolous human rights complaints against aestheticians in Canada for their refusal to provide bikini waxing services to a biologically male individual. Most of Yaniv’s targets are immigrants of various Asian descent. Yaniv, whom Lindsay Shepherd refers to as “JY” in her videos, previously reported the free speech activist’s Twitter account for bringing to light leaked chat logs in which the transgender Yaniv allegedly expressed their desire to learn how to approach prepubescent girls in public restrooms. Shepherd was previously suspended for the tweets. The transgender activist previously reported tweets by feminist journalist Meghan Murphy, whom Twitter banned for referring to Yaniv with a male pronoun. Murphy argues that gender self-identification undermines women’s rights to female-only spaces.

fat-ugly-man-yaniv.jpg
fat-ugly-man-yaniv.jpg (17.06 KiB) Viewed 1 time

In a back-and-forth argument between Yaniv and Shepherd this week, the transgender activist hurled misogynistic insults at Shepherd and her infant son, with remarks about Shepherd’s genitalia and uterus. “I replied that this is something a man who has no functional romantic relationships with women would say, but that, I guess that describes him pretty well. Then, Yaniv mocked a reproductive abnormality I have (a septate uterus), and so I replied saying ‘at least I have a uterus, you fat ugly man.’ I thought, ‘I can’t allow him to make these misogynistic remarks about me and not fight back.’ I deleted the comments I made this morning but found out was suspended in the afternoon,” said Shepherd in an interview with The Post Millennial. Shepherd echoed her remarks in a YouTube video explaining her side of the situation. She has since removed the video. Shepherd clarified that despite having deleted her tweets, her account was nevertheless suspended. Twitter has since denied Shepherd’s appeal on grounds that her conduct was unacceptable conduct on the social media platform. Twitter’s decision to ban Shepherd and allow Jessica Yaniv a continued presence on the platform reveals an ugly double standard. It’s one that suggests it is okay for transgender persons to make misogynistic remarks about women and their children, but that any likeminded response will be met with a suspension or permanent ban. Yaniv is celebrated Shepherd’s ban with a picture of the account suspension and the caption: “BYE Felicia!”
smix

Blog: View Blog (0)

Twitter Suspends Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Parody Account for 'Spammy Behavior,' Which Seems Dubious

Postby smix » Wed May 08, 2019 3:15 pm

Twitter Suspends Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Parody Account for 'Spammy Behavior,' Which Seems Dubious
Reason

URL: https://reason.com/2019/05/07/aoc-twitt ... pam-rules/
Published: May 7, 2019

Description: Conservatives say they are subject to a double standard.

twitter-fair-and-balanced.jpg

Twitter has banned a parody account that made fun of Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D–NY), as well as the account's creator and operator, Michael Morrison. Parody accounts are permitted on Twitter as long as they are clearly identified as such. This account, @AOCPress, obeyed that rule, and its termination has prompted conservatives to accuse the platform of hypocrisy. They have a point. The official reason for removing the accounts was "spammy behavior." "While you may use Twitter pseudonymously or as a parody, commentary, or fan account, you may not use misleading account information in order to engage in spammy, abusive, or disruptive behavior, including attempts to manipulate the conversations on Twitter," according to Twitter's official rules. A person familiar with the situation told Reason that several accounts appeared to be pushing the same information in a coordinated matter and that this violates the "spammy behavior" policy. Looking very closely at Twitter's policy, the platform does prohibit "posting duplicate or very similar content across multiple accounts" and "creating duplicate or very similar accounts; or creating fake accounts, impressions or account interactions (such as followers, Retweets, likes, etc.)." If I am understanding these rules correctly, they mean that it is okay to have a fake account or a parody account, but if a user tweets similar content on their real account and their fake account, this crosses some sort of line. Since both Morrison's Twitter feed and @AOCPress's Twitter feed have been vaporized, I can't tell if there was significant overlap between the two. But it seems somewhat dubious to apply the rules in a manner that punishes clearly-defined parody content. And if the problem was Morrison's feed, why is @AOCPress gone as well? As I always point out when I write about these issues, Twitter is a private entity and may ban users in accordance with whatever principles they can think up. But the company should make a better effort to communicate what kinds of behavior are forbidden and then apply those rules fairly. Uneven enforcement (like this) increases the perception that the company is targeting conservatives, and emboldens Republican legislators to call for regulating Big Tech. We should all oppose these regulations on First Amendment grounds, but it's hard to keep conservatives on board so long as Twitter applies its rules to the letter against the conservative-operated @AOCPress, while completely failing to, say, address an attempted doxing by a Democratic lawmaker.
smix

No Mocking AOC: Popular Ocasio-Cortez Parody Account Banned From Twitter; Creator Speaks Out

Postby smix » Wed May 08, 2019 3:20 pm

No Mocking AOC: Popular Ocasio-Cortez Parody Account Banned From Twitter; Creator Speaks Out
Daily Wire

URL: https://www.dailywire.com/news/46867/no ... stigiacomo

Description: A popular Twitter account mocking Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) was hit with a permanent ban after apparently gaining too much steam on the big tech platform. The account, which clearly indicated itself as "parody" in its Twitter name, amassed over 85,000 followers before Twitter shut it down for unclear reasons.

aocpress.jpg

The politico who created and manned the account, Mike Morrison, also had his personal account permanently banned. Morrison, who believes the bans were politically motivated, had nearly 60,000 followers before his seemingly unprovoked exile. According to screenshots provided by Morrison to Human Events, Twitter acknowledges that clearly-marked parody accounts are allowed but Morrison’s content posted to the AOC parody account was apparently too similar to comments actually made by the socialist. "You may not register or create fake and misleading accounts. While you may use Twitter pseudonymously or as a parody, commentary, or fan account, you may not use misleading account information in order to engage in spamming, abusive, or disruptive behavior, include attempts to manipulate the conversations on Twitter," an email from Twitter said. "You may also not ‘post duplicative or substantially similar content, replies, or mentions over multiple accounts or multiple duplicate updates on one account or create duplicate or substantially similar accounts,'" the email to Morrison added. Human Events noted that Morrison’s mock-AOC account followed their rules with regard to online parody:
Twitter rules require all parody, newsfeed, commentary, and fan accounts to indicate “non-affiliation” in both the account name and bio. The AOC Press Release parody account used the word “parody” in both its account name and biography.

"I think Twitter banned AOC Press for the increasing amounts of attention it’s been receiving lately," Morrison said of the ban. "In the past month and a half alone the account grew by roughly 50,000 followers. We’ve had tweets with over 30,000 likes on them, so I think Twitter decided it was time for [the account] to go," he claimed. "They didn’t like how popular an account created by their political opposition had become." Late last month, outspoken conservative and award-winning actor James Woods was locked out of his massive Twitter, which has over 2 million followers. As reported by The Daily Wire, Sarah Miller, Woods’ girlfriend, posted a screenshot of an email the actor received from Twitter, which claims Woods was locked out of his account for "violating" Twitter rules "against abusive behavior." "If you try to kill the King, you better not miss. #HangThemAll," the tweet supposedly in violation from the actor said. Keeping in line with the theme of online censorship, Facebook and Instagram (which is owned by Facebook, Inc.) permanently banned so-called "dangerous individuals and organizations" from their accounts on Thursday. Infowars founder Alex Jones, self-described investigative journalist Laura Loomer, Infowars’ Paul Joseph Watson, provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos, and Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan were among those included in the de-platforming.

CURL: An Endless Stream Of Dumb Flows Forth From AOC
Daily Wire

URL: https://www.dailywire.com/news/46919/cu ... oseph-curl
Published: May 8, 2019

Description: There is, apparently, nothing too dumb for Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to say. The media darling, a democratic socialist who won a House seat from New York and hasn’t stopped posting on social media long enough to get any actual work done for her constituents, keeps lowering the bar — and then somehow limboing under it again.

aoc-stupid.jpg

On Monday, Ocasio-Cortez jumped onto Instagram and declared that she’d never seen a garbage disposal before — or, quite possibly, even heard of one. "OK everyone, I need your help because I just moved into this apartment a few months ago and I just flipped a switch and it made that noise and it scared the daylights out of me," she said in the video. "This D.C. apartment is bougie and has things I’ve never seen before." (For the record, the Urban Dictionary says "bougie" means: "Aspiring to be a higher class than one is. Derived from bourgeois — meaning middle/upper class, traditionally despised by communists.") Ocasio-Cortez wasn’t done. "Like what is a garbage disposal really for? Is it better or worse than throwing something in the garbage? More importantly why is it so loud and yelling at me?" In her post, some text is overlaid with an image of a hole in the sink that says, "I am told this is a garbage disposal." It’s true that hyper-politically correct New York City banned garbage disposals from the 1970s until 1997 to ease overuse of the city’s water treatment systems. But Ocasio-Cortez was only 8 years old when the ban was lifted. It seems impossible that she had never seen a garbage disposal — or even heard of one — until she moved into her luxury "bougie" apartment in a posh part of Washington. That wasn’t the only dumbness posted on social media by AOC this week (and it’s only Tuesday). In another Instagram video, the graduate of Boston University is seen looking at her small plot in a community garden in Washington. "I just checked on my community garden slot and I was so nervous because I was in New York for two weeks in recess. Look!" she says as the camera pans to leafy plants. "Oh. My. God! Look at this!" she gasps. "It’s like — look at the collard greens! Look at the dahlias! Oh my God! I have to trim all of these back for smoothies. I. Am. Shook! Look, like, honestly, gardening — food, that comes out of dirt! Like, it’s magic!" The internet shredded the congresswoman. One example: "Look, I don’t want to make fun of the brainless, but AOC is without question the most idiotic person ever to (dis)grace the halls of Congress," Brent Bozell, founder and president of the Media Research Center, posted on Twitter. Those are, of course, two mostly innocuous examples of dumbness. But Ocasio-Cortez has shown a deep lack of education on far more important matters. Last year, "Firing Line" host Margaret Hoover asked her, "What is your position on Israel?" She said she thinks "that what people are starting to see at least in the occupation … of Palestine [is] just an increasing crisis of humanitarian condition and that to me is just where I tend to come from on this issue." Asked to elaborate, AOC started her answer by saying, "I think what I meant…" She wasn’t exactly sure what she meant. Then she added: "I am not the expert on geopolitics on this issue. … Middle Eastern politics is not exactly at my kitchen table every night." In another video post, she said Democrats are looking "to take back all three chambers of Congress." Then she stopped to correct herself — and made it much worse. "Rather, all three chambers of government — the presidency, the Senate and the House." Close, but the three branches are executive, legislative and judicial. And that’s something most eighth-graders know. The month before she took office, she posted on Twitter that $21 trillion "of Pentagon financial transactions could not be traced, documented or explained. $21T in Pentagon accounting errors. Medicare for All costs ~$32T. That means 66% of Medicare for All could have been funded already by the Pentagon." The liberal Washington Post gave that claim four Pinocchios, the most it awards for flat-out falsehoods. But AOC has an explanation for her string of errors and gaffes and just plain dumb statements. In a CNN appearance the day after she was sworn into office, she said, "I think that there’s a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right." She’s sure right there. Facts aren’t all they’re cracked up to be. Dumb is where it's at.

James Woods Is In 'Twitter Jail.' Here's The Tweet That Got Him Suspended.
Daily Wire

URL: https://www.dailywire.com/news/46558/ja ... stigiacomo
Published: April 30, 2019

Description: Outspoken conservative and award-winning actor James Woods has been locked out of his massive Twitter account — which has accumulated over 2 million followers — for over a week now, the actor's girlfriend Sarah Miller has confirmed. On April 20, Miller posted a screenshot of the email Woods received from the tech platform.

realjameswoods-suspended.jpg

"Of course Twitter doesn’t inform his followers," she captioned the photo. The email claims Woods was locked out of his account for "violating" Twitter rules "against abusive behavior." The tweet supposedly in violation read as follows: "If you try to kill the King, you better not miss. #HangThemAll." Woods’ quote was apparently made in reaction to the Mueller report findings exonerating President Donald Trump and his 2016 campaign of collusion with the Russian government. This is not the first time Woods has been suspended from the platform. It was reported in September that the "Casino" actor was suspended for making a crack about a fake meme, which he acknowledged was likely fake. "Pretty scary that there is a distinct possibility this could be real. Not likely, but in this day and age of absolute liberal insanity, it is at least possible …" Woods captioned a meme falsely suggesting top Democrat organizations encouraged men to skip voting in the midterms "to make a woman’s vote worth more."

woman-vote-worth-more.jpg

"The irony is, Twitter accused me of affecting the political process, when in fact, their banning of me is the truly egregious interference," Woods told the Associated Press at the time of the suspension. "Because now, having your voice smothered is much more disturbing than having your vocal cords slit. If you want to kill my free speech, man up and slit my throat with a knife, don’t smother me with a pillow," he continued. "I wish this were about an unknown Twitter user so that I could be even more passionate about it," the actor added. "This is not about a celebrity being muzzled. This is about an American being silenced — one tweet at a time." Two years ago, Woods temporarily quit the platform over their censorship. "Since [Twitter] is now in the #censorship business, I will no longer use its service for my constitutional right to free speech. #GoodbyeAll," the actor posted in a short-lived farewell tweet, noted by The Daily Beast. Twitter’s bias against conservative or contrarian speech has been well-documented. For example, CEO Jack Dorsey and Twitter’s global lead for legal, policy, and trust and safety, Vijaya Gadde, were pressed on their ideologically driven speech policies pertaining to transgenderism during a March appearance on "The Joe Rogan Experience" podcast. Radical feminist Meghan Murphy was notably banned from the platform for refusing to use female pronouns when arguing with a transgender woman, who is biologically male. Moreover, Twitter briefly suspended the official Twitter account for the pro-life "Unplanned" movie without cause last month. The account was restored only after fierce backlash.

James Woods Releases New Statement About Twitter Suspending Him
Daily Wire

URL: https://www.dailywire.com/news/47033/ja ... n-saavedra
Published: May 9, 2019

Description: Conservative actor James Woods said on Thursday that he will no longer be using Twitter after the platform suspended him and then deleted a tweet that he refused to take down after the platform received widespread scorn from lawmakers for its continued censorship of conservatives. "Twitter demanded that I rescind my tweet paraphrasing Emerson," Woods said in a statement to The Daily Wire.

ralph-waldo-emerson-quote.jpg

"It now seems they have chosen to delete that tweet from my account without my permission. Until free speech is allowed on Twitter, I will not be permitted to participate in our democracy with my voice. As long as Jack Dorsey remains the coward he seems to be, my Twitter days are in the past." Woods was suspended in late April over a tweet that stated: "If you try to kill the King, you better not miss. #HangThemAll." The Daily Wire has reached out to Twitter for clarification on what specific rules Woods' tweet allegedly broke and will report on what answers the social media platform gives. Woods received an outpouring of support including from President Donald Trump, who tweeted: "How can it be possible that James Woods (and many others), a strong but responsible Conservative Voice, is banned from Twitter? Social Media & Fake News Media, together with their partner, the Democrat Party, have no idea the problems they are causing for themselves. VERY UNFAIR!" "It's interesting how @twitter and @facebook both seem more concerned with silencing non-violent people who hold political opinions they disagree with, than violent terrorist organizations and the people that support them," Donald Trump Jr. tweeted. "Is @RealJamesWoods really more 'dangerous' than Hamas?" "How is it that @RealJamesWoods is currently being banned on Twitter, but @JimCarrey is not?" Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) tweeted. "It’s certainly not any standard based on 'hate.' Carrey’s latest Twitter 'art' shows Bill Barr drowning in a sea of vomit. @Jack - how ‘bout we let everybody speak and the People decide?"
smix

Ocasio-Cortez blown away by first experience with a garbage disposal

Postby smix » Wed May 08, 2019 6:03 pm

Ocasio-Cortez blown away by first experience with a garbage disposal
New York Post

URL: https://nypost.com/2019/05/07/ocasio-co ... -disposal/

Description: New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is learning a lot of new things in Washington — including what a garbage disposal is. The 29-year-old freshman congresswoman posted photos and videos on Instagram showing the apparently “terrifying” contraption at work in her swanky DC apartment and saying she’d never seen one before.

ocasio2018.jpg

“OK everyone I need your help because I just moved into this apartment a few months ago and I just flipped a switch and it made that noise and it scared the daylights out of me,” Ocasio-Cortez can be heard saying in footage. “I am told this is a garbage disposal. I’ve never seen a garbage disposal. I never had one in any place I’ve ever lived,” she later said. The “Green New Deal”-touting Bronx Democrat wondered whether the device was “environmentally sound.” “This DC apartment is bougie and has things I’ve never seen before…,” Ocasio-Cortez captioned the video, later noting: “Is this what social mobility is? Using kitchen appliances you never saw growing up?” The Bronx-born representative ended her Instagram story by quipping, “All you people telling me to reach in and grab whatever’s there are just Republicans trying to test my health insurance.” “I’m onto you.”
smix

Twitter permanently suspends AOC parody account for being misleading

Postby smix » Wed May 08, 2019 11:53 pm

Twitter permanently suspends AOC parody account for being misleading
Fox News

URL; https://www.foxnews.com/politics/twitte ... misleading

Description: Twitter banned the account @AOCPress, labeled as a "parody," on Monday, apparently because it sounded too much like Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., while mocking her.

alexandria-ocasio-cortez-aocpress-humor.png

The social media giant also suspended the account's creator, Michael Morrison. It said that while users could create parody accounts, they couldn't use "misleading account information in order to engage in spamming, abusive, or disruptive behavior including attempts to manipulate the conversations on Twitter." “You also may not 'post duplicative or substantially similar content, replies, or mentions over multiple accounts or multiple duplicate updates on one account, or create duplicate or substantially similar accounts.’ This account will not be reinstated,” an email from the company read. Morrison told Human Events he believed Twitter banned the account because it had grown so much over a short period of time. “In the past month and a half alone, the account grew by roughly 50,000 followers. We’ve had tweets with over 30,000 likes on them, so I think Twitter decided it was time for [the account] to go," he said. "They didn’t like how popular an account created by their political opposition had become.” On Twitter, many, including the president's son, blasted the decision to ban his account. "What's the deal here @jack? Because it sure looks like political bias," Donald Trump Jr. said. Others mocked the freshman congresswoman, who has become a magnet for criticism after making certain statements and proposing government policies. The ban came as many decried censorship on social media platforms like Facebook, which announced on Thursday that it had banned controversial activists — Milo Yiannopoulos, Louis Farrakhan, Laura Loomer, Alex Jones, and Paul Joseph Watson — for apparently promoting or engaging in violence or hate. “We’ve always banned individuals or organizations that promote or engage in violence and hate, regardless of ideology. The process for evaluating potential violators is extensive and it is what led us to our decision to remove these accounts today,” Facebook said. Twitter has also banned an account parodying former Rep. Beto O'Rourke, D-Texas, and another that mocked Russian president Vladimir Putin. The issue caught President Donald Trump's attention, prompting him to tweet his dismay over the decision. "I am continuing to monitor the censorship of AMERICAN CITIZENS on social media platforms," he told his followers. "This is the United States of America — and we have what’s known as FREEDOM OF SPEECH! We are monitoring and watching, closely!!" Conservatives have offered differing opinions on the issue. While some have argued that Facebook infringed on the commentators' civil rights, others claimed that the social media giant had no legal obligation to host their commentary.
smix

Twitter Bans Jewish Trump Supporter Over AOC Parody Account

Postby smix » Fri May 10, 2019 12:26 pm

Twitter Bans Jewish Trump Supporter Over AOC Parody Account
Summit News

URL: https://summit.news/2019/05/07/twitter- ... y-account/

Description: Making fun of Democrats is verboten.

aocpress-biden.jpg

Twitter has permanently banned Jewish Trump supporter Mike Morrison for running a parody account that made fun of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. The account, @AOCPress, was banned despite it complying with all Twitter’s rules on parody accounts, including having the word “parody” in both its account name and biography. The parody account was an embarrassment to AOC because it mainly posted gibberish that was almost identical to her actual statements. Morrison also had his own Twitter account with over 50,000 followers permanently removed. The AOC parody account had amassed over 85,000 followers, with 50,000 of them coming in the last six weeks. “The social network appears to be implying that the AOC Press parody account – which often posted moronic gibberish as a play on Ms. Ocasio-Cortez’s ability to flub her lines – is too close to what the Democrat Congresswoman is actually like in real life, causing confusion for Twitter users,” writes Sofia Carbone. “I think Twitter banned AOC Press for the increasing amounts of attention it’s been receiving lately,” said Morrison. Another parody account which made fun of Michael Avenatti was also banned. Meanwhile, @MAGAphobia, an account used to track incidents of violence against Trump supporters, was also deleted. Parodying Republicans is completely acceptable. But don’t dare make fun of Democrats or you’ll be the next victim of the purge.
smix

Twitter Bans Official AOC Account After Mistaking It For Satire

Postby smix » Wed May 15, 2019 8:58 am

Twitter Bans Official AOC Account After Mistaking It For Satire
The Babylon Bee

URL: https://babylonbee.com/news/twitter-ban ... for-satire
Category: SATIRE
Published: May 14, 2019

Description: SAN FRANCISCO, CA—Oops! Twitter just accidentally banned the official account of Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez while trying to crack down on parody accounts of the controversial congresswoman.

aoc-official-account-satire.jpg

The social network had banned several popular parody accounts of the congresswoman. The company then deployed an algorithm to identify and automatically ban accounts that satirized Ocasio-Cortez or her allies in Congress. Unfortunately, the algorithm got "a little too aggressive," and banned Ocasio-Cortez herself. "It seems that our algorithm identified everything she posted as a really clever parody of the left," a spokesperson said. "The constant faux pas, the self-defeating arguments, the seemingly satirical take on far-left positions---it all added up to the account looking very much like satire. Frankly, her posts were outdoing the satire accounts almost every day." "I mean, the woman didn't know what a garbage disposal was, for crying out loud," he added. "How are you supposed to train an algorithm to take that seriously?" At publishing time, President Trump's account had also been suspended as parody.
smix

8-year-old ‘Mini-AOC’ retires from social media after harassment and death threats from critics

Postby smix » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:01 pm

8-year-old ‘Mini-AOC’ retires from social media after harassment and death threats from critics
BizPac Review

URL: https://www.bizpacreview.com/2019/07/03 ... ics-771368
Published: July 3, 2019

Description: There will sadly be no more parodies of Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) by Mini-AOC. Social media accounts for 8-year-old Ava Martinez, who brilliantly mocked everything from AOC’s claim that the world has 12 years left to her clearly fake photos outside of a migrant detention center, have been deleted after critics were harassing and threatening both Martinez and her family.

mini-aoc-fence.jpg

Ava’s stepfather, Salvatore Schachter, took to Twitter to announce the end of the Mini-AOC parodies. “Ava will not being doing any more MINI AOC content,” he wrote. “The Left’s Harassment and death threats have gone too far for our family. We have been getting calls on our personal phone numbers. For our safety and for our child’s safety, we deleted all Mini AOC accounts.” Schachter told The Gateway Pundit that the threats to Martinez and the rest of the family were “disturbing” and became “too much to bear.” “We had to delete our accounts because the threats, harassment, negativity and hate directed at Ava and our family grew too much to bear,” he said. “The calls, texts, posts and emails from angry, hate-filled people were quite frankly, disturbing.”

mini-aoc-deleted.jpg

Liberals did their best to shut down Ava Martinez’s content and it seems to have worked. Some have claimed the content was child abuse because of Martinez’s age, but that would be like saying every single child actor on Earth is being abused. Liberals have a tendency to not be able to see beyond politics and at the end of the day, Martinez’s content was solid parody. Schachter confirmed to Gateway Pundit that the Mini-AOC content was a way to give Martinez an opportunity to perform since she has such a passion for it. “We started Mini AOC because Ava is a natural performer who loves to entertain and she enjoyed the praise she was getting for her sense of humor and charming personality,” he said. “It’s with some sadness that she will not get to share her talent with the many people who enjoyed her videos because of others who use violence as a means to an end. I do find it odd that people feel the need to protect a congressperson with such hate and disgust.”

Plenty of people have taken to social media to express support for Martinez and to rail against the left, which now seems to tolerate harassment of 8-year-old girls — try finding as many leftists complaining about underage drag queens. “Remember the old saying, “can’t you take a joke?” Or the meaning of (satire)? Whoever is making death threats to @sickentirade #miniAOC …You are NOT funny or cool. You are a sick evil human being who needs to have your life extremely limited to jail cell. Leave her alone!!!” a Twitter user wrote about the situation. “This is the reason I will never vote democrat in my life,” another user responded. “Welcome to 2019. Where people celebrate parents who dress their kids in drag, but harass and threaten little girls who poke fun at politicians,” another replied.
smix

Twitter Suspends Angel Mom for Posting About Illegal Immigration

Postby smix » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:21 pm

Twitter Suspends Angel Mom for Posting About Illegal Immigration
Breitbart News

URL: https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/07/ ... migration/
Published: July 19, 2019

Description: Angel Mom Mary Ann Mendoza, who heads the Angel Families organization, has been suspended from Twitter after posting about illegal immigration and raising awareness about the harms of sanctuary city policies. Angel Mom Mendoza’s son, 32-year-old police officer Brandon Mendoza, was killed in May 2014 by a drunk illegal alien who was driving the wrong way down a highway in Mesa, Arizona. This week, Mendoza was suspended from her Twitter account and told she would not be able to sign back in unless she deletes a series of posts about crimes committed by illegal aliens and the impact of sanctuary city policies on American citizens. Mendoza told Breitbart News that Twitter sent her a message claiming that some of her posts “go against” Twitter’s “standards on hate speech.” In order to sign back into her account, Mendoza said, Twitter has mandated that she delete the posts — something she said she will not do. Mendoza’s posts called out 2020 Democrat presidential primary candidate Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA) for her support for illegal aliens and sanctuary city policies, as well as raising awareness about illegal immigration’s impact on Americans: “I’m disgusted and disappointed that Twitter is trying to silence me,” Mendoza told Breitbart News. “I had my world ripped out from under me the day my son was killed by a repeat illegal alien criminal. I am the ‘other’ side of this crisis and the end result of open borders and the careless release of illegal aliens at our borders because of time restraints.” Mendoza said despite the Twitter suspension, her voice will not be silenced. “I will not be silenced in my warning calls of what could happen to any American citizen in the blink of an eye as it did to me,” Mendoza said. “As an American citizen whose beautiful son was collateral damage to the ineptness if our elected officials, I will continue to bring my words to them in whatever platform I can. They owe it to me and every other Angel Family to have a hearing for our voices. Their fellow American citizens and our loved ones killed by their inactions. My voice is my son’s voice, never to be silenced by anyone.” A Twitter spokesperson did not explain why Mendoza was suspended but only that they were requiring her to delete her posts.
smix