• Advertisement
To advertise, place classifieds free ads by category in a forum as a new topic, or in the classified display ads section, or start a classifieds free blog.

AOC Takes Aim At Amazon...Again. But The Company Isn't Having It.

Postby smix » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:11 pm

Townhall

URL: https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethbauma ... s-n2549225
Category: Politics
Published: June 29, 2019

Description: Amazon is responding to Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's (D-NY) claims that Amazon pays workers "starvation wages." AOC's comments were made earlier this week on ABC News' "This Week," when she was asked about Amazon and the company's CEO, Jeff Bezos, and what she'd like to see in a "truly progressive" agenda. "I'm spending more time thinking about Amazon warehouse workers than I'm thinking of Jeff Bezos. I think about the outcome I want to see for those folks. Jeff Bezos is less of a concern for me than if your average Amazon worker is making a living wage, if they have guaranteed health care and if they can send their kids to college tuition-free," Ocasio-Cortez explained. "And, if that's the case, and Jeff Bezos is still a billionaire, then that's one thing, but if his being a billionaire is predicated on paying people starvation wages and stripping them of their ability to access health care, and also if his ability to be a billionaire is predicated on the fact that his workers take food stamps, so I'm paying him to be a billionaire-" "Do you think that's why he's a billionaire, because he pays starvation wages?" the anchor asked. "I think it's certainly a part of the equation when you have a very large workforce and you underpay every single person," AOC responded. "And that you also, you know, participate in taking billions of dollars of government subsidies, I think that could be part of it."

aoc-npc.jpg

She tried putting a positive spin on it. "But, if he's willing to give up all of his government subsidies, willing to charge fair taxes, if we're willing to pay people a living wage, send people to college tuition-free, guarantee everyone health care, and he's still a billionaire, well, that's a fight we can have another day," she said.
@AOC is just wrong. Amazon is a leader on pay at $15 min wage + full benefits from day one. We also lobby to raise federal min wage.
— Amazon News (@amazonnews) June 17, 2019

President Barack Obama's former Press Secretary, Jay Carney, now serves as Amazon's Senior Vice President. He responded directly to AOC in a tweet, refuting the claim:
More than 42% of all working Americans earn less than the $15/hour Amazon pays entry-level fulfillment center employees. And all our employees get top-tier benefits. I’d urge @AOC to focus on raising the federal minimum wage instead of making stuff up about Amazon.
— Jay Carney (@JayCarney) June 17, 2019

Ocasio-Cortez fought to keep Amazon out of her district. Amazon decided not to build a warehouse, which resulted in thousands of New Yorkers losing out on potential jobs. AOC was happy about "winning the fight" but faced major backlash for the job loss.
smix

Blog: View Blog (0)

Amazon to AOC: Excuse You, Our Employees Live Like Kings on $15/Hour

Postby smix » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:42 pm

Amazon to AOC: Excuse You, Our Employees Live Like Kings on $15/Hour
Vanity Fair

URL: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/06 ... -aoc-wages
Category: Politics
Published: June 17, 2019

Description: The tech giant takes issue with the notion that its founder’s wealth is predicated on paying “starvation wages.”
When Amazon announced in February that it would not be opening a second headquarters in Queens as previously announced, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was one of the first lawmakers to claim victory, tweeting that defeating “Amazon’s corporate greed, its worker exploitation, and the power of the richest man in the world” was proof that “anything is possible.” And four months later, it appears her feelings about the company haven’t changed! Speaking to ABC News’s This Week on Sunday, AOC asserted that the only way Jeff Bezos was able to become the richest man in the world with a net worth of $117 billion—after giving his ex-wife roughly $37 billion—was by treating his employees like slave laborers. Noting that she has no issue with Bezos being obscenely rich if Amazon is paying its workers a “living wage,” AOC added: “If that’s the case and Jeff Bezos is still a billionaire, that’s one thing,” but if Bezos’s wealth is “predicated on paying people starvation wages and stripping them of their ability to access health care,” that’s a major problem. And you’ll never believe it, but the tech giant did not take kindly to such comments. “These allegations are absurd,” Amazon said in a statement. “Amazon associates receive industry-leading pay starting at $15 an hour...Amazon pre-pays 95% of continuing education tuition costs through its Career Choice program for associates who want to pursue in-demand careers.” Jay Carney, Amazon’s head of communications, later chimed in to say, “More than 42% of all working Americans earn less than the $15/hour Amazon pays entry-level fulfillment center employees. And all our employees get top-tier benefits. I’d urge @AOC to focus on raising the federal minimum wage instead of making stuff up about Amazon.” (Last October, after the tech giant raised its minimum wage, Bloomberg reported that the company had eliminated stock awards and monthly bonuses for warehouse workers and other hourly employees.) Ocasio-Cortez, of course, is not the only lawmaker to take issue with Amazon.

biden-aoc-cake.jpg

Last week presidential hopeful Joe Biden tweeted, “I have nothing against Amazon, but no company pulling in billions of dollars of profits should pay a lower tax rate than firefighters and teachers. We need to reward work, not just wealth.” At the time, Amazon responded, “We’ve paid $2.6B in corporate taxes since 2016. We pay every penny we owe. Congress designed tax laws to encourage companies to reinvest in the American economy. We have. $200B in investments since 2011 & 300K US jobs. Assume VP Biden’s complaint is w/ the tax code, not Amazon,” which is a little bit like saying that not paying federal income taxes makes you smart.
smix

Blog: View Blog (0)